[snowcrash+gnupg-users] pinentry-qt (svn/r153) crashes on exec @ "assuan_register_command"; v0.7.2 execs no error.

snowcrash+gnupg-users schneecrash+gnupg-users at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 17:49:31 CET 2007

hi marcus,

On 1/24/07, Marcus Brinkmann <marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> thanks for the report.
<snip>

hi,

well, for the life of me, i do NOT know what's changed (i've been
building/rebuilding a lot!), but, atm, both

	pinentry-qt-svn
	pinentry-qt-v072

seem to launch correctly, and w/o BusError.  i've tried to backtrack
my (mis)trials, but simply can't get it to mis-behave again. how i
love 'gremlins'! :-/

anyway, outstanding issues that remain:

(1) the qt pinentry dialog that pops up still fails to grap
mous/keyboard focus correctly.  i can't enter a pin into the dialog,
and the cancel/ok buttons are nonfunctional.

the google-trail leads me to,

  http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2006-05/thread00383-0.html
	When compiled with the X11 version of qt under MacOS it behaves
correctly, but when compiled under qt-mac it has the problems
described at ...

and,

  http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2003-03/thread00690-0.html
	This is a FAQ. Native Mac apps must have an application bundle in
order to get a GUI event thread. There are some notes about this in
the documentation and the Qt examples build bundles on Mac.

which seem to indicated this is a known issue.  the apparent
fix/workaround is to build pinentry-qt into a 'bundle'.  the
referenced bundling howto is at,

	http://doc.trolltech.com/qq/qq09-mac-deployment.html

but, after first attempt i've still got the same issues ...
investigating further

(2) pinentry's --prefix=DIR is NOT repected.

i.e., no matter _what_ the setting, 'make install' installs in /usr/local

(3) pinentry's 'bundled' assuan src is _old_.

it would be nice to be able to cleanly link pinentry-svn against an
external/local build of libassuan.  atm, though, it's a rather messy
(and so far, unsuccessful ...) process.

honestly, not sure it will make a difference, other than to
consistency of environment ...

(4) pinentry-svn build/install complaines about a missing
'doc/version.texi', which does not seem to be in the src tree.

	cp pinentry-0.7.2/doc/version.texi pinentry-svn/doc/version.texi

fixes the problem.

please let me know if there's anything i can do on my end to help.

thanks!