gpg --gen-key fails with "invalid packet (c2b=2d)" using gpg4win-1.1.1 and XP Pro

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 11 08:27:36 CEST 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:21, dara.parsavand at boeing.com said:

> When I run at a Command Prompt gpg --gen-key, I get (after a bunch of
> +^.> characters and two messages saying to type to generate random
> bytes):
>
>    gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=2d)

Please check your pubring.gpg and secring.gpg.  You find these files in
the home directory as printed by "gpg --version".

I guess that these files are ASCII armored key files taken from
somewhere else.  Make a backup of these files, delete them and try
again (best on the command line).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner