GnuPG and PGP 5.0 compatibility problem

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Wed Jul 18 16:39:05 CEST 2007

>Message: 6
>Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:42:37 +0200
>From: Stefan Oltmanns <stefan-oltmanns at gmx.net>
>Subject: GnuPG and PGP 5.0 compatibility problem

>I got a problem with GnuPG and PGP 5.0:
>Also PGP 5 accepts my key, it is not possible for PGP 5 to encrypt
>with
>my key. It?s not even displayed in the selection dialog when I try
>encrypt something (it shows identities correct in key list (but
>expiration not)).
>
>I read in the FAQ that PGP 5.0 does not accept ElGamal keys of
>type 20,
>but my key doesn?t seem to be of that type (--list-packets says
>"version
>4, algo 16, created 1153340019, expires 0")
____^^^^^^^^

what is algo 16?

standard current open pgp algorithms go up to algo 10 (twofish)
for cipher algorithms, and algo 11 (sha224) for hash algorithms

>There seem to be another problem, do you have any idea how to
>solve it?

just in case the algo '16' was a typo,
maybe consider the following:

am assuming the key was generated under the gnupg default settings,
which would mean it would use cast5 as the cipher algo, which 'is'
compatible with pgp 5

*but*

the default setting for gnupg is to use the newer secret key
protection,
which is not compatible with any (standard) pgp version before 8

try:
[1] delete the key from pgp 5
[2] remove the passphrase from the key in gnupg
[3] re-import the key into pgp5, and set the passphrase in pgp5
[4] re-set the passphrase in gnupg

and see if that works

also,
pgp5 accepts rsa keys only up to 2048
so if your key is a bigger rsa key, that is another reason why it
won't work

vedaal

--
Click to get a free credit repair consultation, raise your FICO score
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4d7lw7nDSkAhHbDcPnEmxtJjWVdXcHMYC5vjIzxnx5cpygj1/