gpg2 for windows?

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Wed Jul 18 20:41:01 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 00:08 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:08, j.lysdal at gmail.com said:
>
> > Are there any plans to provide a gpg2 installer for windows?
> > as i am not interested in using the gpg4win package.

Nevertheless, use it.  It is what they are standardizing on and
you can pick and choose what you want.  I have no problems with
them doing it this way either.  Now that they have done it you
can go to GnuPG2 on Windows.  That makes me a happy camper!  Or
you can stay with 1.4.X.  It is your choice.  I think you are
demanding too much of the GnuPG team (no, I don't have anything
to do with the effort).  But until you really look at the
gpg4win package you don't know what you are missing.

> Actually gpg4win 1.1.1 already features gnupg2.  However it is at this
> point not very usabable some command line actions do work but there are
> quite some bugs.
>
> We are working on this, yesterday I achieved to sent the first S/MIME
> mail using Claws and gnupg2.  Stay tuned.

All ears 8^).

> > In particular, does anyone know why the gpg4win gpg builds
> > does not come with bzip2 support?
>
> Because it is an optional part of OpenPGP and iirc even PGP does not
> support bzip2.  I'll see whether we can include it into the gpg4win
> build.

I would say it a little differently than that Werner.  bzip2 is NOT part
of Windows.  It sounds to me like you are asking for the world.  Which
ZIP add on program do you want the GnuPG team to standardize on?  On
the 'nix systems they just call bzip2 natively via pipes.  On Windows
that becomes a problem with anything other than ZIP, because everything
else is an add-on.  In other words, yes they could demand that you use
7-Zip

http://www.7-zip.org

In that case, they may be able to handle it, but ONLY if Windows were
as polite as the 'nix machines are in piping (you sometimes run into
problems).  But people will use WinZip or a dozen other utilities
instead, or nothing at all.  That means that the GnuPG team are
responsible for bzipping on their own.  Does that help you
to understand some of the problems?  That is why for a long time
I listed bzip2 as the last resort, and ZIP first.  But the way
Windows implemented the ZIP was to transparently allow users to
see into a ZIP file, thus infecting people's computers.

In short, to Werner and the others - THANKS FOR GPG2 on MS WINDOWS!

HHH