Odd characters in Thunderbird compose of gnupg

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Fri Nov 16 22:33:59 CET 2007

Robert D. wrote:
> I had my friend set up her XP machine with Thunderbird and gnupg, based,
> I believe, on directions obtained here ... so I feel she got the correct
> pointers.

Mostly likely here: http://enigmail.mozdev.org/gpgconf.html
The pointers still look correct. I suspect the execution.

> However, she is here right now, and when I watch a compose window in
> Thunderbird, there is, at the bottom
>
> "--"
> MZ .. then representations of binary ,,, then "this program can not run
> in dos"  then a *HUGE* amount of (likely) code .... then
> gpg4win-1.1.3.exe and several lines of likely text prompts
>
> the compose window is therefore huge and email takes a while to get
> sliced up for emailing.
>

> How best to eliminate this? A total re-install?

Or maybe, just an install. gpg4win-1.1.3.exe is the installer, not the actual
gpg program. Maybe try the smaller installer from the GnuPG.org site:

	ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.7.exe

It .looks as if your friend has Enigmail configured to run the installer, not
the installed program.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"