Detached signature that is not one

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Oct 30 08:48:26 CET 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:28, sk at intertivity.com said:

> Today there was this spam email. It only had an body which gpg recognized as
> an detached signature
> and asked me for the datafile. Which of course, i didn`t have. Please find
> the body of the email attached.
>
> Is this a bug in gpg? (tried ver. 1.4 and 1.4.7)
> How can i prevent gpg to ask for the datafile but just failing?

Pass --batch to gpg and it won't ask for the data file.  Also make sure
that you stdin is connected to /dev/null so that gpg won't expect the
data on stdin.

Of course this means that you need to supply the passphrase by other
means.  Some applications run gpg first to check whether a passphrase is
required and then re-run w/o --batch.  Or use the status/command
interface to decide what to do.  GPGME should make things easier for
you.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner