Signing people with only one form of ID?

Fri Feb 29 10:26:38 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:51 AM, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:

>  I wouldn't go crazy here: keep in mind that the web of trust is
>  designed for people who don't have the ability to prove that a
>  passport or license is real.  This is one of the reasons that more
>  than one signature is needed to make a key fully valid.  All that the
>  web of trust asks is that you do your best.

Yes and no. While a web of trust may look just like a huge interconnected
graph, it actually is a directed graph and the only root node you care about
is your own. So while it is true that you can't do too much about a guy who
is ten hops away from you, you can try and make connections to nodes
near to you as good and detailed as possible.

Richard