question about hkp protocol

kurt c kurtc1972 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 05:59:35 CEST 2008

John Clizbe wrote:
> kurt c wrote:
>> Thanks John. My next question is then: why is it that when I tried to
>> send my public key to a key server (whether it starts with hkp or http)
>> using my GPA, the popup said: "there is no plugin available for this
>> protocol". What plugin am I missing?
>
> I don't use GPA. I don't care for the interface.
>
> You might try entering only the server, no protocol, no port.
>
> The command I gave in the the last mail will do it for you from a Windows
> command line.
>
> gpg --keyserver keyserver.gingerbear.net --send-key 0x8E758D5F
>
>> (Excuse me for the PGP signature. I'm using Enigmail/Thunderbird and I
>> don't feel like turning off the signature now.)
>
> Just click the pen in the lower right of the compose window to toggle signing
> off or on.
>
> BTW, Enigmail will also do this for you.
>
> In Thunderbird, OpenPGP --> Open Key Manager. Single-click your key to select
> it, right-click for the context menu, chose 'Upload Public Keys to Keyserver'
> (or 'Upload Public Keys' from the Keyserver pull-down menu). Select one of the
> existing servers or type in one of your choosing, only the server name is
> needed. Click OK.
>
> Wait about an hour before pinging keyservers to see if your key is there if you
> used random... or pool... It takes a while for servers to synchronize. If you
> use a single server, you can check it right away. But it may still take 1-2
> hours to show up on all the servers.

Hi John, thanks so much for the thorough reply. I wasn't able to
implement your direction at all, though. You said:

" In Thunderbird, OpenPGP --> Open Key Manager. Single-click your key to
select
> it, right-click for the context menu, chose 'Upload Public Keys to
Keyserver'
> (or 'Upload Public Keys' from the Keyserver pull-down menu). Select
one of the
> existing servers or type in one of your choosing, only the server name is
> needed. Click OK."

When I did that, the popup appeared:

"sending of keys failed
gpgkeys: this keyserver type only supports key retrieval
gpg: sending key -------- to hkp server keyserver.pramberger.at
gpg: keyserver communications error: file read error
gpg: keyserver send failed: file read error"

This happened with every keyserver I chose, so I don't think it is a
problem with keyserver, but with me. What exactly am I missing here? Do
you know?

And when I opened up my command prompt and typed in the command you
suggested, I got the reply that "pgp is not a valid internal or external
command". Is there some configuration of environment variable or
something like that which I need to do beforehand?

Thanks John for your time.