Changing preferences

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Sep 18 19:07:39 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 08:23:21AM -0500, Kevin Hilton wrote:
> I think the problem is with the word preferences.  The use of this
> word in the setpref command and in the
> personal-cipher/hash-preferences really doesn't convey what
> preferences are preferred over each other.  The sender's preferences
> always trump the recipient's preferences.

This is not true.  GPG will never use a cipher that the recipient does
not prefer.  It may not use the recipient's #1 choice, but it will
always use something from the recipient's list.

It's not always simple to calculate what cipher should be used.  For
example:

Alice:   AES256 TWOFISH
Baker:   TWOFISH AES256

Who wins?