openPGP card, cant change admin pin, can't change name

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Sun Feb 8 09:29:38 CET 2009

Am Sonntag, 8. Februar 2009 00:12:16 schrieb Malte Gell:

> gpg --card-edit
> passwd
> then asked for the PIN, default pin "123456" entered
> asked for the new pin, new pin entered twice
> and then this
> "Error changing the PIN: Conditions of use not satisfied"

Too stupid, the pin needs to be 6 digits of course..

> When I try to change the admin pin something similar, "permission denied".
> What is wrong, why can't I change the pins?

does still now work, what is wrong there, why don't I have the permission to
change the admin pin?

2[malte_gell at linux-61r3]4867 09:25~> gpg --change-pin
gpg: OpenPGP card no. XXXXX detected

1 - change PIN
2 - unblock PIN
3 - change Admin PIN
4 - set the Reset Code
Q - quit

Your selection? 3
Error changing the PIN: Permission denied

The same happens when trying to change the name:

Command> name
Cardholder's surname: Gell
Cardholder's given name: Malte
gpg: error setting Name: Permission denied