installing gpg on Mandriva 2009

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jan 3 12:59:26 CET 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009, Chris wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2009 20:39:04 Chris wrote:
> > I've updated my Mandrake 10.1 box to 2009. On the 10.1 system gpg
> > and gpg-agent were working smoothly.  I installed gnupg-2.0.9 from
> > source and copied my old .conf files over to the .gnupg folder. I
> > also installed kgpg. When trying to add my key in Kmail to Identies
> > > Cryptography >OpenPGP Signing key the "fetching keys" bar
> > continues to scroll back and forth without fetching anything. My
> > key is on the key servers. My key is entered in the OpenPGP
> > encryption key block already.  I had this working correctly in 10.1
> > but it won't work now. I must be missing something. I have all the
> > required libraries installed as well as pinentry-qt.  Any advice
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > Chris
>
> One other note on the above, gpg-agent appears not to be running at
> least that's what Kmail says when it starts. Trying to run from the
> cli gives me:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# gpg-agent
> gpg-agent[24043]: can't connect to `/root/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No
> such file or directory
> gpg-agent: no gpg-agent running in this session

Try whether you can start gpg-agent as daemon manually:
# gpg-agent --daemon

If this works then kill the gpg-agent process and start it with the
command
# eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
This will set the environment variable needed by all applications that
want to make use of a running gpg-agent. Next start KMail from the same
console, i.e.
# kmail
and check whether it works.

If this works then put a file called start-gpg-agent.sh into ~/.kde/env
(or ~/.kde4/env) containing the following two lines:
=====
killall gpg-agent 2>/dev/null
eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
=====

This will ensure that gpg-agent is started whenever KDE is started.

You can add more command line arguments to gpg-agent if you like. For
example I added --default-cache-ttl 36000 to increase the duration
gpg-agent caches the passphrase.

Regards,
Ingo