Multiple Identities

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Nov 16 23:33:55 CET 2009

T. Howell-Cintron wrote:
> I'm roughly familiar with GnuPG and have used it in the past when I had
> a single presence, a single e-mail address, etc.
>
> I'm in a position now where I'm using multiple e-mail addresses, for
> different purposes, but want to share the same key for the sake of
> simplicity in my applications (Enigmail for example).  I know it's
> possible to use one key for multiple e-mail addresses/identities but I'm
> not sure how to go about doing it.

The customary way to do this is to create new uids, which other people
have already mentioned. However depending on what you're trying to do
it's not mandatory that you do so. For example, in enigmail you can
specify the key to use for an account by its key id, which should work
fine regardless of the e-mail address associated with the account.

OTOH, if you're expecting the people on the other end to encrypt mail
sent to you on one of the addresses that is not part of your key, you
could run into "issues."

hth,

Doug