GPG seems broken on FC13 after upgrade.

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 28 10:44:10 CEST 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:15, jjperry at water.com said:

> trying to figure out what happened.  If the interface is being changed
> in this manner than it would seem that simple code to check for a
> responding X-server or if the X-server connection is denied, it would
> fall back to curses style windows.

That is a good suggestion.  We currently only look on the presence of
the DISPLAY envvar but don't do any test:

  /* Simple test to check whether DISPLAY is set or the option --display
     was given.  Used to decide whether the GUI or curses should be
     initialized.  */
  int
  pinentry_have_display (int argc, char **argv)
  {
  #ifndef HAVE_W32CE_SYSTEM
    const char *s;

    s = getenv ("DISPLAY");
    if (s && *s)
      return 1;
  #endif
    for (; argc; argc--, argv++)
      if (!strcmp (*argv, "--display"))
        return 1;
    return 0;
  }

If someone can come up with a simple test to check the presence of an X
server, it should be easy to include it.  Note that we don't use Xlib
directly but GTk+ or Qt.  I don't know whether gtk_init returns an error
and we would be able fallback to the curses implementation then.  Anyone
care to test this? (pinentry/gtk+-2/pinentry-gtk-2.c)/

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner