[OT] Re: Test mail to gnupg.user

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 13 19:12:54 CEST 2010

On Sunday 13 June 2010, MFPA wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Sunday 13 June 2010 at 10:03:00 AM, in
> <mid:201006131103.01318 at thufir.ingo-kloecker.de>, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > IMNSHO, it's not up to the mailing list admins to
> > dictate where replies to my posts should go. Therefore,
> > the mailing list software should not touch the Reply-to
> > header.
>
> As far as I know, this is the only list I have ever subscribed to
> that does not set a reply-to header to the list address. I'm not
> saying it is "right" or "wrong," just unique in my experience.
>
> The admins don't "dictate" where replies go: the person replying does
> whatever they want.

True. But to do so the person replying has to decide whatever they want
make it easy to choose between reply to author or reply to list or reply
to both. I'm not sure what the conclusion is. I guess the only sensible
conclusion is using a decent MUA which gives the replier the choice.
Optimizing the mailing list for crappy MUAs is just as wrong as
optimizing web pages for crappy browsers.

> However, I would suggest that it *is* perfectly
> proper for the admins of any list to set headers that encourage
> posters (or their email software) to follow the etiquette of that
> group. In the case of GnuPG-users, that would perhaps be a reply-to
> header containing both the list address and the senders address.

Hmm, I never read anywhere that this would be the etiquette of this
group. It's certainly not mentioned on the listinfo page of gnupg-users.
Also, most people seem to reply to list only.

Regards,
Ingo