gpg-preset-passphrase

Daniel Eggleston eggled at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:13:04 CET 2010

I'm looking for some help explaining the behavior of gpg-preset-passphrase.

First, the manpage states:

       Passphrases set with this utility  don't  expire  unless  the
--forget
       option is used to explicitly clear them from the cache --- or
gpg-agent
       is either restarted or reloaded (by sending a SIGHUP  to  it).   It
is

But it looks like gpg-preset-passphrase cached passphrases are still subject
to the --max-cache-ttl option in gpg-agent ... this behavior is hardly
"Don't expire". Is there a way to change this behavior?

Second, the manpage also states:

       --forget
              Flush the passphrase for the given cache ID from the cache.

The implication (to me) is that if I cache a passphrase with
gpg-preset-passphrase, then run gpg-preset-passphrase with the same key
fingerprint and the --forget option, that gpg-agent will no longer cache
that entry.  When this didn't pan out, I thought maybe the forget command
simply makes the cached passphrase obey the --default-cache-ttl option, but
no dice.

So, basically the --preset command is subject to --max-cache-ttl (although
the documentation implies otherwise), and the --forget command doesn't
appear to change anything at all.  Am I doing it wrong?

Any help is appreciated,

--

          Daniel