AW: AW: problem with german umlauts

Reinhard Irmer reinhard.irmer at
Sun Nov 14 21:01:10 CET 2010

Hi Ben,

you wrote on So, 14.Nov.2010 (11:19:07):
> On 14/11/10 8:52 PM, Reinhard Irmer wrote:
>> you wrote on So, 14.Nov.2010 (02:13:47):
>>> You should be able to change the Thunderbird setting to UTF-8 and 
>>> make it behave in View -> Character Encoding.
>> View utf-8: umlauts in body or utf-8-characters in body are OK, 
>> umlauts in headerpane are destroyed (shown as ? in black square)
>> View iso-8859-1: umlauts in body are OK, utf-8-characters in body are 
>> destroyed (o¿o) = (o¿o), umlauts in headerpane are OK
> Okay, what about the preferences for Thunderbird?  I'm assuming you're 
> using Windows for all these, in which case go to Tools -> Options -> 
> Display -> Formatting -> Advanced.  Character Encodings for both 
> outgoing (composition) and incoming mail are set here (I'm assuming 
> that your setting was only in the View -> Character encoding section).
> You'll want this to match everything else (although it shouldn't 
> matter if View -> Character Encoding resets itself to ISO-8859-1 if 
> the other two are set to UTF-8).

I'm not so familiar with TB because my favourite client is 40tude-dialog, where everything works fine. I only tested the probs with TB to see,if there are differences in showing the characters. I had set the options in TB for incoming/outgoing msgs. to iso-8859-1; now I changed to utf-8 and now I will see, if problems getting solved with this. When I have results I'll tell you.

So long
--- [on OUTLOOK2007 with QF-Macros] ---

More information about the Gnupg-users mailing list