problem with german umlauts

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Thu Nov 18 03:21:16 CET 2010

On 16/11/10 8:17 PM, Reinhard Irmer wrote:

> Now I checked it out: setting all TB-prefs to utf-8 and post new
> mail/news with TB, all characters are good.

Excellent.

> Replying to that msgs with TB, all characters (in header- and
> bodypane) are good.

Also excellent.

> Posting news with a different client or replying with this different
> client on TB-sent news AND prefs in diff. client are set to
> iso-8859-1 or -15, TB shows all characters well.

Cool.

> If different client is set to utf-8, TB shows the chars BAD in
> headerpane and good in bodypane. If I change view to iso-8859-1/15
> chars in headerpane getting well but in bodypane bad.

That's odd, I'm not sure what's going on there.  Was this just
newsgroup (NNTP) posts or news and email?

> Translation chinese/... via Google...... good idea :-)

It's awfully convenient for us mono-linguistic types.  ;)

I used to use Altavista's Babel service, which was pretty good too and
was better than Google's for quite a long time, but Google has really
caught up on that front.

> Btw: this mail is header-signed. Did you get GOOD SIG on verifying?

I can see the signature in the header, but Enigmail did not detect it
at all.  I think it will only check the body for in-line signed or
encrypted blocks and PGP/MIME.

I don't really see the value in using OpenPGP for header signatures,
that should be the purview of things like MTAs, mainly for DKIM or
Domain Keys to verify an authorised sender for a domain.

Regards,
Ben