Encrypting a file

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Oct 19 18:55:09 CEST 2010

On 10/19/2010 9:50 AM, Thomas Chitwood wrote:

> I have a customer that wants me to send him my public key

Perfectly valid. That's why it's called the "public" key.

> and then
> encrypt a file that I am sending to him with my private key. Is this
> even possible?

Sounds like a minor misunderstanding on his part. You sign a message
with your private key, he verifies the signature with your public key.
You encrypt messages TO public keys (your and his) and then you each use
your private keys to decrypt them.

If I were in your shoes I'd simply encrypt the file to my key and his,
and send it to him. Chances are excellent that it will all work
according to plan.

Good luck,

Doug

--

Breadth of IT experience, and    |   Nothin' ever doesn't change,
depth of knowledge in the DNS.   |   but nothin' changes much.