gnupg mirrors (was: Re: [Announce] GnuPG 1.4.11 released)

Jason Harris jharris at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 23 22:53:23 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:36:59PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:36, jharris at widomaker.com said:

> > The .exe is there and matches the SHA-1, but the .sig isn't there:
>
> Ooops.  Forgot to upload that one - fixed.  Sorry.

> Actually, our FTP server would not have a problem to serve all requests.
> The mirrors are more a historics thing but more an more folks wan't to
> mirror (I recently added a rel=nofollow in case some of them intent to
> bump up their page rank).
>
> I should change the wording of the announcement.

OK, good to know.  Thanks for the fixes.

> Thanks for the hint of the mktorrent; maybe I can add this to our
> webpage anyway.

Actually, and somewhat fortunately, I didn't find any BitTorrent
trackers I like that worked automagically (without login and manual
upload of a .torrent) and with elinks/aria2c/lftp.  aria2c was happy
to ignore a non-existent tracker at localhost and do everything from
web seeds, however.  Of course, it should do equally well using a
metalink, and without the problem of exporting cryptography for
US-based users...

For now, I found the following changes in the GnuPG mirrors:

http://ftp.linux.it/pub/mirrors/gnupg/		new (listed by FreeBSD)
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnupg/	new (listed by FreeBSD)
ftp://ftp.bit.nl/mirror/gnupg/			is incomplete
ftp://ftp.demon.nl/pub/mirrors/gnupg/		no longer mirrors gpg
ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/security/gnupg/	stopped mirroring gpg in 2007
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/privacy/gnupg/		serves files, but no listings
http://www.gnupg.ca/				mirrors website, not files

--
Jason Harris           |  PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
jharris at widomaker.com _|_ Got photons? (TM), (C) 2004