Seahorse

reynt0 reynt0 at cs.albany.edu
Wed Oct 27 04:25:37 CEST 2010

(Sorry about the late post, am just catching up on
some skipped emails and my comment might have some
wider relevance though stimulated by the quoted email.)

On 10/11/2010, Robert J. Hansen wote:

> On 10/8/2010 10:16 AM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>> If you ever decide to promote that alternate interface, the approach
>> I would try is to sneak it in by actually making it an alternative
>
> This is one of the things we were specifically warned against in HCI.
> Give people two interfaces and the new interface will never supplant the
> old.  When new users encounter problems and ask for help, the first
> thing the old-timer will do is say, "well, first, go back to the old
> interface, that's the one I know the best."  The newcomer will do so and
> won't switch back afterwards, both out of a spirit of "all the experts
> use the old interface" and "nobody can help me with this new interface,
> so I'd better use the old."

Unless of course the "old-timer" is flexible and up to
speed?  And maybe related, was the research upon which
that Human-Computer Interface class was based maybe
done before the "new era" of users (ie the era which
started a couple of years ago :-) ), and maybe its
applicability to the modern world needs to be re-evaluated?