No SmartCard Daemon

Paul R. free10pro at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:24:02 CEST 2011

Hi,

I recently installed GnuPG 2 through a package manager on a Linux
system, and when I issued "gpg2 --card-status", I got the following
error:

gpg: OpenPGP card not available: No SmartCard daemon

I searched my system for scdaemon, but it is not installed.  Also, I
checked my PATH environment variable to make sure that the PATH was
properly configured.  I guessed that, perhaps, scdaemon had been put
into a package of its own.  With this in mind, I searched my package
manager for the words _scd_ and _scdaemon_.  But the only thing that I
found was a package called gnupg-pkcs11-scd.

I am not sure what to do other than resort to building GnuPG 2 from
source code.  Anyway, here are the details of my system.

Linux Mint 9
Linux kernel 2.6.32-21-generic
GnuPG 2.0.14

--Paul

--
PGP Key ID: 0x3DB6D884
PGP Fingerprint: EBA7 88B3 6D98 2D4A E045  A9F7 C7C6 6ADF 3DB6 D884