Future of GnuPG 1.x.x?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Aug 4 23:08:28 CEST 2012

On 08/04/2012 03:26 PM, Sin Trenton wrote:
> Is the plan to retire 1.x sometime in a not too distant future (I'm
> not saying that I assume an actual time plan being set)?

I am not a GnuPG developer.  My information is not definitive.  Take it
with a grain of salt.

That said, my understanding is the GnuPG developers wish to end 1.4
support as soon as possible.  This is reasonable, given that 2.0 has
been out for a decade.  When 2.0 first came out I was not a big fan, but
it's become much more stable and useful over the past few years.

However, ending GnuPG 1.4 support 'as soon as possible' is not the same
as 'ending it now.'  They want to minimize impact on end-users as much
as possible.

When 1.4 support ends, expect an EOL date to be announced far in advance
and a lot of help given to people who need to migrate to 2.0.