[gnupg-users] Re: Future of GnuPG 1.x.x?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Aug 5 09:33:35 CEST 2012

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> On 08/04/2012 03:26 PM, Sin Trenton wrote:
>> Is the plan to retire 1.x sometime in a not too distant future (I'm
>> not saying that I assume an actual time plan being set)?
>
> I am not a GnuPG developer.  My information is not definitive.  Take it
> with a grain of salt.
>
> That said, my understanding is the GnuPG developers wish to end 1.4
> support as soon as possible.  This is reasonable, given that 2.0 has
> been out for a decade.  When 2.0 first came out I was not a big fan, but
> it's become much more stable and useful over the past few years.
>
> However, ending GnuPG 1.4 support 'as soon as possible' is not the same
> as 'ending it now.'  They want to minimize impact on end-users as much
> as possible.

The 1.4 model still works better for certain things.  I've never
successfully managed to make pinentry work in a shell/screen session using
my mailer, and I've never heard back from the GPG developers about
allowing the main gnupg process to prompt for a pin directly, without
needing the socket/window of pinentry.

Both myself and Doug Barton have commented on this list to this effect.

I consider this a blocking factor for moving to 2.0.

> When 1.4 support ends, expect an EOL date to be announced far in advance
> and a lot of help given to people who need to migrate to 2.0.

See above.

-Dan