[gnupg-users] Re: Future of GnuPG 1.x.x?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Aug 6 15:24:58 CEST 2012

On Sun,  5 Aug 2012 09:33, danm at prime.gushi.org said:

> The 1.4 model still works better for certain things.  I've never
> successfully managed to make pinentry work in a shell/screen session
> using my mailer, and I've never heard back from the GPG developers

If you use curses, one problem is that you may need to redraw your
screen after a pinentry popped up.  The usual workaround is to schedule
a redraw after decryption or signing.  Given that we don't use 9600
terminals anymore, there should be no visible impact.

> about allowing the main gnupg process to prompt for a pin directly,
> without needing the socket/window of pinentry.

As you should known this is by design.  A wrapper and the
PINENTRY_USER_DATA envvar is always an option to control the passphrase
entry yourself.  The GnuPG 2.1 gpg-agent has a way to tunnel pinentry
requests back to the calling application - as of now gpg does not
support this.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner