Future of GnuPG 1.x.x?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Aug 6 13:28:47 CEST 2012

On Sat,  4 Aug 2012 21:26, biggles.trenton at gmail.com said:

> Is the plan to retire 1.x sometime in a not too distant future (I'm not saying that I assume an actual time plan being set)?

We have not really discussed such a plan.  I don't see a technical
reason to stop 1.4 maintenance in the near future.  However, I doubt
that it makes sense to port new feature (e.g. ECC support) back to 1.4,
or work on performance improvements (e.g. AES hardware support).

> The reason I ask is I have tried 2.x and even with various utf-8 settings, signed mail fail verification approx 50% of the time for others as my client does with theirs. English works fine, but it seems mail containing Swedish/Danish/Czech letters (æ, ø, å, ä, ?, ?, ?, etc) get mucked up.

I doubt that this has do do anything with GnuPG.  In fact, I can't
remember any code changes pertaining to data I/O between 1.4 and 2.x.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner