FAQ, take two

Kevin Kammer Lists.gnupg at mephisto.fastmail.net
Mon Jun 4 18:35:25 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 09:40:02PM -0400 Also sprach Robert J. Hansen:
> What I *am* interested in, though, are content errors.  It is quite
> likely I have a few in there, and maybe even a few howlers.  So please,
> take a look and see what you think.

Thanks for taking the time to write this;  here are a few minor points
I have elected to comment on:

Section 2.6:  For Solaris 11, gnupg is also available via the default
IPS publisher.  The version Oracle provides is 2.0.17 vs 2.0.18 from
OpenCSW, but it is worth mentioning as it may satisfy parties who are
unwilling (or unable) to install via 3rd-party software sources.

Section 4.11  Should almost certainly mention GnuPG integration with
Evolution, which is still the default Gnome email client on many *nix
distros.

Also, for Mutt, I believe I can help with some of the "FIXME"s:

Plugin? None required, provided both Mutt and GnuPG are installed properly.
Supports GnuPG versions: 1.4 and 2.0
Supports pgp/mime? Yes
Actively developed? Yes (though the "stable" version is only updated
very infrequently, the project's CVS repo is still seeing activity).
Project blurb: Mutt's GnuPG interoperability is good, but it may
require extensive manual configuration for it to work properly (but if
you're using Mutt, you already know that). See
http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttGuide/UseGPG for configuration details.

General comment:  For users completely new to GnuPG (and encryption in
general), the use of the related terms "certificate" and "key"
throughout the FAQ may be confusing.  Questions like "What's a
certificate?" "What's a key?" and "What's the difference?" may deserve
an explanation someplace.  A good place might be in the "Terminology"
section, which itself should perhaps appear earlier in the FAQ.

Regards,
Kevin