FAQ, take two

Kevin Kammer Lists.gnupg at mephisto.fastmail.net
Tue Jun 5 15:24:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:11:13PM +0200 Also sprach Werner Koch:
> On Mon,  4 Jun 2012 18:35, Lists.gnupg at mephisto.fastmail.net said:
>
> > require extensive manual configuration for it to work properly (but if
> > you're using Mutt, you already know that). See
> > http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttGuide/UseGPG for configuration details.
>
> That is not true:  Put
>
>   set crypt_use_gpgme
>
> into the ~/.muttrc and you don't need any of the other configure
> options.  Mutt must have been compiled with GPGME support.  Check using
>
>   mutt -v | grep +CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
>
> Debian builds with gpgme support.

Apparently so does Red Hat/Fedora; the mutt package in the repos has
this feature included.  The default MacPorts configuration, however,
did not; I had to recompile (which was easy using the port command).

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but I will mention that
for the first time in a long while, Mutt segfaulted when I tried to
open a message on the gnupg mailing list... presumably when it tried
to call gnupg to do an automatic signature verification?  Other
signatures have verified fine since I switched to using gpgme; I'm
hoping this will prove to be an isolated incident, related to the
structure of that one signature (it does it every time I try to open
that message).

In any case, thanks for the tip.