scdaemon needs restarting after removing OpenPGP smartcard

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Jun 8 06:38:26 CEST 2012

On Tue,  5 Jun 2012 15:01, klaus.layer at gmx.de said:
> I found ticket https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue1238 which describes this
> error. Are there any plans to downport the fix described in the ticket to
> 2.0.X.

I am currently backporting the SCD changes in master branch to 2.0.

For this particular issue, I believe that it has been fixed by the
following commit, which was included in 2.0.18 already.

commit 576de6e539646f021dafff8d4e3327c115a51ad4
Author: Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>
Date:   Tue Jan 25 22:03:16 2011 +0100

    Fixed problem with unplugging card readers.

    From Grant Olsons's mail to gnupg-devel@:

      This is three-quarters NIIBE and one-quarter me, but I though it would
      be easier to have a single complete patch that applies to
      STABLE-BRANCH-2-0 than two patches floating around.

      This is basically NIIBE Yatuka's patch here:

      http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2010-November/025828.html

      Plus another check that closes down the reader explicitly if we get a
      SW_HOST_NO_READER error, so that an unplugged reader doesn't hold onto
      the first slot, preventing us from getting to the active plugged reader.