Documentation bug

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jun 8 21:54:12 CEST 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> --no-for-your-eyes-only
>       Set  the  `for  your eyes only' flag in the message. This causes
>       GnuPG to refuse to save the file unless the --output  option  is
>       given,  and PGP to use a "secure viewer" with a claimed Tempest-
>       resistant font to display the  message.  This  option  overrides
>       --set-filename.  --no-for-your-eyes-only disables this option.
>

> The text should read "with a claimed Van Eck-resistant font", not "with
> a claimed Tempest-resistant font".  TEMPEST is the name of a NATO
> standard for hardening hardware against Van Eck phreaking [1].  Thus,
> the font is not claimed to be 'Tempest-resistant' because that would
> mean resisting the countermeasure.  Instead it should be 'Van
> Eck-resistant', because that means the font is the countermeasure.

The fonts in question are actually called "TEMPEST fonts" in the PGP documentation (or at least they were last time I looked - I haven't seen the docs for the Symantec PGP).   The bug here would seem to be the word "resistant".  TEMPEST should be capitalized, too.

Does anyone happen to have Symantec PGP and know if they even still do this?

David