Stumped and need some help with agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Jun 17 14:10:47 CEST 2012

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:42, papillion at gmail.com said:

> For some reason, every time I do anything to an encrypted message, I
> have to re-enter my passphrase. If I open a message, I enter my
> passphrase, then, when I reply to it, I have to enter it again. And to
> send that reply? Yep, enter it again!

Your gpg-agent is not installed properly.  man gpg-agent to see how it
is to be started.  If there is no gpg-agent it will only be started as
needed and then can't act as a passphrase cache.   Ubuntu should have
handled this for you.

We will change gpg-agent in the next version to automagically start
itself as a daemon on the first access - this allow to use gpg-agent
without any additional system setup.

> system, renamed the gpa.conf file (just in case) and added the
> "no-use-agent" entry to my gpg.conf file with no result.

gpg2 ignores this option because gpg-agent is a required part of the
GnuPG-2 system.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner