Stumped and need some help with agent

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 01:04:33 CEST 2012

On 06/16/2012 05:37 PM, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> On 16/06/12 21:42, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Can anyone lend me a hand and help me figure this out? I've even
>> gone as far as to rename the gpg2 binary so it couldn't be found
>> by the system, renamed the gpa.conf file (just in case) and
>> added the "no-use-agent" entry to my gpg.conf file with no
>> result.
>
> Hello Anthony,
>
> In your .gnupg directory you want to edit the file (or create one)
> gpg-agent.conf and add the lines default-cache-ttl 9000
> default-cache-ttl-ssh 1800
>
> You can install the programme GPA and it will under preferences
> edit it for you. If I recall Ubuntu does not have it so go to
> ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/gpa// download gpa - you have to
> ./configure - make - make install. Also make sure gpg-agent's
> running.

Hi David,

Thank you for the help! So I went ahead and I downloaded gpa
(thankfully, I didn't need to compile it. It was in my distro's
repository) and installed it. I made the changes to the .conf file as
suggested.  When I typed 'which gpg-agent' to make sure I had agent
installed it told me it was in /usr/bin/gpg-agent. When I executed it,
I get the message 'gpg-agent is installed and running'. Everything
looks fine.

Then...

When I look in my process list, I don't see gpg-agent. And when I go
to Thunderbird and try to access encrypted messages, I still get
Enigmail's passphrase manager instead of pinentry. Note that I've told
Enigmail to use gpg-agent instead of its own manager but that makes no
difference.  The problem of having to enter my passphrase at every
step continues.

Does this look more like a problem with Enigmail than GnuPG?
Understand, I am not using GPG2 but rather 1.4.11.  However, it looks
like I have gpg2 installed (/usr/bin/gpg2).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Anthony