way to see what cipher/algo was used to create your key?

Sam Smith smickson at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 01:30:44 CEST 2012

Does anybody know a way to learn what cipher & hash was used to create the secret key?

Also, does anyone know a way to make AES256 & SHA256 the default cipher/hash combo for --symmetric encryption? I can create these using --cipher-algo etc but is there a way to make them default for if I use this command: gpg -a -o file-encrypted -c file