way to see what cipher/algo was used to create your key?

Tue Jun 19 05:21:11 CEST 2012

Am Mo 18.06.2012, 19:30:44 schrieb Sam Smith:
> Does anybody know a way to learn what cipher & hash was used to create the
> secret key?

May it be you mix up things? The key is just a random number. It can be used
with ciphers but you don't use ciphers to generate a key. Neither a symmetric
nor an asymmetric one. There are algorithms (no ciphers) which determine
whether a random number is suitable as asymmetric key but that's probably not
what you mean.

> Also, does anyone know a way to make AES256 & SHA256 the default cipher/hash
> combo for --symmetric encryption? I can create these using --cipher-algo
> etc but is there a way to make them default for if I use this command: gpg
> -a -o file-encrypted -c file

You mean except for putting cipher-algo in your config file...?

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814