ideal.dll

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 25 20:44:11 CEST 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:12, aaron.toponce at gmail.com said:

> So, if the system can be improved by removing support for PGP2, which
> includes cleaning up code, squashing bugs, and tightening security, then
> why is it still around? 20 years later?

Because you still want to be able to decrypt your 20 year old files.
Meanwhile this is even legally possible due to the expiration of the
IDEA patent.  We probably need to keep this kind of support for all
time.

Keeping the ability to encrypt using v3 keys will likely be removed in
one of the next GnuPG versions.

I don't have an answer to your actual question.  The reason might be
that there are a few load voices who tell everyone that they need IDEA
and v3 keys to save the world.  I don't understand it.  However, it is
often easier to allow people to shoot into their feet than spending a
lot of time with fruitless discussions.

BTW, removing the v3 support will not make the code magically less
complex.  Removing mature code may actually introduce more bugs than
keeping it.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner