what is killing PKI?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Oct 6 23:20:53 CEST 2012

On 10/6/2012 9:44 AM, MFPA wrote:
> However, I have always heard the second form used much more than the
> first, and in my experience people generally do not appear to
> perceive it as rude. Rather, it seems to be accepted as a vernacular
> shorthand for "You should go to this restaurant: they have wonderful
> seafood which I really liked, and feel that you might also like if
> you are into seafood."

Yes.  But there's a difference between saying "the ceviche is awesome,
you should try it" and saying "you really should lose some weight."

When you're telling people to eat their broccoli, nobody wants to hear
the word "should."  It's a word best avoided.

>> This is a meaningless question, because it presumes there's a
>> single objective standard for what is "safe and sane."
>
> I disagree. I would say it presumes that the person/people releasing
> the software are capable of forming an opinion as to what they
> consider to be "safe and sane."

Therefore, for this question to be meaningful, you must have doubt as to
whether Werner & Co. are capable of forming an opinion as to what they
consider to be "safe and sane."  Because if there's no doubt, then why
ask it at all?

I do not share in your doubts.