Importing a PGP public key with no expiry date to GPG 1..4.2, sets the create_date to expiry_date & errors

Cts Onetemp ctsonetemp at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 17:17:44 CET 2013

Hi

When I import a PGP public key that has "NO expiry" date, into GPG 1.4.2, it shows the key as expired & the PGP created date shows as 'expired date' .
Is this a bug? or is there a way to force GPG to not set the expiry date from the created date?
When I try to encrypt with the PGP public key (ignoring the date), it gives the following error
gpg: 6988865C: skipped: unusable public key
gpg: install.txt: encryption failed: unusable public key

When I try to sign the pgp public key, it gives the below error
Command> sign
gpg: no default secret key: malformed user id

Any suggestions. There is NO issue with the PGP public key & it is used currently. GPG is setting the PGP created date as expired date.

Thanks
Marina