Problem with omnikey cardman 4040

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Jul 13 17:10:35 CEST 2013

On 13/07/13 14:54, Lorenz Wenner wrote:
> I know that one can use fuser to get information about the
> processes using specific file(-system). So by doing fuser -vm
> /dev/cmx0 I get
>
> USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND /dev/cmx0:           root     kernel
> swap  /dev/sda5 root     kernel mount /dev [...]

I think that command means processes accessing a file on the
filesystem where /dev/cmx0 resides, which means anything in /dev (not
counting pseudo-filesystems mounted inside /dev, I suppose).

I think you should use

fuser -v /dev/cmx0

I had forgotten about fuser, I always do an incantation with lsof...

Is GnuPG using the agent that is running? Do you have use-agent in
your gpg.conf? You are using GnuPG v1.x, but I can reproduce that
first using GnuPG v2.x to access the card through the agent, and then
using GnuPG v1.x to access the card directly, fails on that second
attempt. Until I kill scdaemon (takes quite a few stabs to kill it),
then GnuPG v1.x will access the card again.

However, the messages are different than yours, and also, it's
scdaemon that holds the device, not gpg-agent. This makes sense: GnuPG
v2.x asks the agent to access the card, and the agent asks scdaemon.
So both are needed, but scdaemon holds the access to the card.

Peter.