Fwd: Goldbug.sf.net - Secure Multi-Crypto-Messenger v0.1 released

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Jul 27 12:17:05 CEST 2013

On 7/27/2013 5:57 AM, Randolph D. wrote:
> In General you are right, but the model could be as well: 5000 Users
> connect to one Server, this Server provides the Chat for These peope.

Then it's even a less competent design.  A single server is a single
point of failure -- also a single point to issue subpoenas, a single
point to compromise, a single point to monitor or subvert.  Compare to,
say, GnuPG (he said, in a desperate attempt to make this on-topic),
where it's decentralized.  I don't have to trust any machine except my
desktop PC.  There's no single point of failure.

The comparison to IRC is ... weird.  Think about it: IRC never claimed
to be privacy-protecting software and the IRC design is in many ways
deeply at odds with privacy.  Using it as the basis for
privacy-protecting software is kind of surreal.

... I also note that about 30 minutes ago, a representative of the Chaos
Computer Club (CCC) posted a one-star review of GoldBug in which he said
that CCC had never heard of GoldBug, despite GoldBug claiming to be
associated with CCC.

About five minutes ago the GoldBug project admin disabled reviews and
the one-star review is no longer visible.

This kind of behavior on the part of the GoldBug project leaders is
deeply irresponsible.  This, by itself, should persuade people to not
use it.  Responsible programmers *welcome* criticism -- we don't
suppress it.