[OT] Why are you using the GPG / PGP keys?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 28 21:28:17 CEST 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:17, forlasanto at gmail.com said:

> crazy and doesn't function correctly, the house is half wood and half
> brick, and/Jack forgot to put locks on the doors./

Well, the mailbox at my door has no lock either and it suffers from the
spam problem too.  The solution is not to remove the mailbox and do
without snail mail.  Instead I sort spam out and almost all useful or
important mail arrives just fine; well as long as such mail comes in a
nice and ads free envelope with a real stamp on it.

> place. Hopefully something with built-in encryption, rather than
> encryption tacked on as an afterthought. Just my two cents.

There is not always a need for encryption, picture postcards don't need
an envelope and other mails comes in an (optional) closed envelope.
Similar to to RFC-822 and MIME.  The problem with encryption is not the
envelope used for the encryption but the procedures to keep track of the
address/key.

Encryption is nicely integrated into the mail protocol.  What we are
missing is encryption build into the low-level transport layer (i.e. IP
or TCP).  However, there was no business model for that, thus the
afterthought solutions offer a better opportunity for some.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner