Order/changing of subkeys derogates compatibility!?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Dec 1 15:47:06 CET 2014

On 12/01/2014 04:53 AM, gnupgpack wrote:

>> 6.5.8 is about sixteen years old now and has many known security
>> problems.  Please stop using it.
> (Yes, intended only for testing...)

You are testing a modern tool that aims to be standards-compliant
against an unmaintained, known-broken program that was out of date
before the standards were even settled.  When you found an
incompatibility, you reported the problem against the modern,
standards-compliant tool.

That approach seems unlikely to get any fruitful results.

> First PGP version supporting WinXp has been PGP-8.x AFAIK.
> So I will test (yes, only testing...) new key compatibility with this still
> common spreaded version.
>
> But where to get old freeware version PGP-8.03/PGP-8.1 (release in
> Oct-2003)?
>
> Sym at ntec's freeware page seems to be redirected to shop:
> http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html
>
> PGP-version history up to v10:
> http://www.mccune.cc/PGPnew.txt

I don't know the best place to get copies of older, out-of-date versions
of this piece of proprietary software.

GnuPG-users is probably not the best place to find this information.
Have you tried speaking to anyone at Symantec about this?

Regards,

	--dkg