Keysigning

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Tue Dec 2 13:05:48 CET 2014

On 02/12/14 10:53, Robin Mathew Rajan wrote:
> Hello David, :)
>
> I already uploaded my public key to a public key server some months ago. But there's no local Linux users group where I live! I sent emails to some people listed at biglumber.com with my Government issued ID card attached. But no reply came from them. :( Some of them are CACert Assurers!
>
> If someone could sign my key over video conferencing, that would be very much helpful to me. Yes, I know it's much less trusted than actual person-person meetups in real world. But at the same time, it offers an easy solution for someone living in a very remote area. And it's also particularly helpful if he/she can't afford travel expenses to get keys signed. I think it's just like performance vs. security in cryptography. Signing someone's key through video conferencing is less secure but at the same time it's an effective solution for remote areas. I think key signing through video conferencing, might help in reducing 'crypto divide' (like that in 'digital divide'). :)
>
> Regards,
> Robin Mathew Rajan
> https://www.robinmathewrajan.com/
>

> On 02-12-2014 PM 03:05, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>> On 02/12/14 08:27, Robin Mathew Rajan wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Where can I get my keys signed? Does here anyone provide keysigning services through video conference? :)
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>> Robin Mathew Rajan

>> Hello Robin,
>
>> The first thing you need to do is upload your public key to a key server. Perhaps you can
>> find people where you live - a local Windows group or Linux group they would be happy to
>> sign your key.
>
>> Video conferencing? You need to produce some documentation of who you are - some here may
>> feel that video conferencing is not a good idea. But first get your public key to a key server.
>
>> David

Hello Robin,

I tried to download your public key from several servers - without any luck.  As your using
Thunderbird you can always attach your public key.

As for key signing - then face to face communications are better. I've asked myself "what is
the importance of people signing my keys?" There is no valid reason as far as I can see -
though people like to build the web of trust - and for the most part - people on here are
who they say they are - and over the years you get to build up trust. Though having said
that I'm not about to rush out and sign every one's keys.

Why not start your own group? There are lots of Linux groups around the world - unless your
stuck in the middle of nowhere! Perhaps you can provide a link to where you uploaded your
public key?

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No