Docs central, with 'Email Self-Defence'

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Tue Jun 10 14:23:43 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 01:56:34AM +0200, Hauke Laging wrote:
> Am So 08.06.2014, 20:59:41 schrieb Peter Lebbing:
[snip]
> > > I recommend that all qualified people do the same when encountering
> > > bad articles.
> >
> > The problem lies in "qualified". I think the authors of the bad advice
> > consider themselves qualified, for instance. Otherwise why are they
> > giving advice.
>
> I understand the guess but that is at least not my experience. If I tell
> authors about their mistakes they are usually happy that I help them
> improve their article.
>
> Maybe the main reason for writing is not feeling qualified but the wish
> to help. Or they feel there are people even less qualified than they
> themselves and write for those but do not believe that they are close to
> the upper end of knowledge. Maybe the reaction depends on how they
> assess the knowledge of the one who tries to correct them. The from
> address of those of my emails may help there. ;-)

From time to time I will try to explain something, convinced that I am
*not* the best choice to explain it, in the hope that someone more
knowledgable will correct my errors.  I figure that, if I trot out my
limited knowledge, I may help someone to understand just a bit, and I
too may learn something in the process.

> I suggest: Just give it a try.

That is my suggestion as well.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.