Please consider joining Bountysource Salt to collect recurring donations

Andrey Utkin andrey.od.utkin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 14:51:49 CET 2015

On 10.12.2015 18:49, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> ... So, yeah.  I'm thinking this is not a credible source for
> fundraising.  Arduino and GNOME, projects with *far* greater visibility,
> get $0 a month from Bountysource.  I find it hard to believe we'd do
> much better.
>
> I think this is something best avoided.

The Salt project has released this spring or this autumn, I don't
remember for sure.
There's competing project Gratipay (former Gittip, rebranded recently),
and some more, so there's also a fragmentation.
Yes you are right that these platforms (and recurring donation to FOSS
projects in general) is far from being as popular as it should be. But
basically this is a network, and the value of network is bound to number
of members in it. If nobody is in, nobody considers joining worth. The
more time passes, the more projects and backers join and the more is
money flow.
I was surprised to become first backer of FFmpeg project, which was
already set up :)

Also I am not aware how much hassle is it for you to set up your
donation-collecting account on these networks, but I hope it's not that
painful.

Werner, Donate menu entry got better, but there's another issue - when
cursor pointer moves from menu header down to menu entries, menu
dropdown tends to disappear, it takes many attempts to catch it :)

Thanks for all the comments.