Craft public key so that private key equals given string (my password)?

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Fri Jan 2 16:29:28 CET 2015

Hi

On Friday 2 January 2015 at 2:13:53 PM, in
<mid:54A6A7A1.4030501 at yahoo.de>, Ben Staude wrote:

> But as I  mentioned I don't want to
> depend on a private key stored somewhere, but I'd like
> to use my password as the private key. I would need a
> keypair where the public key is some
> I-don't-care-ascii-bulk, but the private  key is
> exactly my password.

Quoting from [0]:-

        When you generate a key pair, you do so with:

             1. a deterministic procedure;
             2. a source of random bits.

        For instance, with RSA, you generate p and q by creating
        random odd numbers of the right size and looping until a prime
        number is found. For a given random source, the whole process
        is deterministic: given the same random bits, this will find
        the same primes p and q.

        Hence you can develop a PRNG seeded by a secret key K and use
        it as random source for the key generation process. Whenever
        you need the private key, you run the key generation process
        again, using K as input. And voilà! Your private key, the one
        you need to store, is now K.

[0] <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3812416/custom-assymetric-cryptography-algorithm>

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

Confusion is always the most honest response