Thoughts on Keybase

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Wed Jan 7 04:29:36 CET 2015

Hi

On Wednesday 7 January 2015 at 2:14:43 AM, in
<mid:54AC9693.2090402 at riseup.net>, Mirimir wrote:

> I also favor compartmentalization. But reading
> <https://keybase.io/>, I don't see any requirement to
> include all online identity information, provide
> government-issued ID, etc, etc, etc.

Including more than one of your online identities on the same keybase
profile damages the compartmentalisation between those identities.

Would there be much point in having a separate keybase profile for
each separate online identity? I guess it would have some value as a
kind of surrogate keyserver. A quick look at a few random keybase
profiles showed me some that had only a person's name and a link to a
key. And one with no identity links at all but 20 trackers.

> I already use
> Gravatar
> <http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/2fb817d36499985e91e5778ed4a0c8b7.png>.

Does that mean Gravatar can track your activity (or popularity?)
across all sites that fetch the image?

> Wouldn't Keybase just better link all that to Mirimir's
> GnuPG key?

If you favour compartmentalisation, wouldn't that be something to
avoid?

> Or am I missing the point? Is there an
> expectation that Keybase usernames are not merely
> pseudonyms?

I think it is that you *can* (rather than *must*) use your real name
and photo and link it to your OpenPGP key and your other online
presences.

People believe it really is *your* facebook page (or whatever), so
they will believe it is *your* key.

Here is a review of Keybase I found:-

<http://www.coindesk.com/keybase-project-plans-make-cryptography-easy-twitter/>.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

Was time invented by an Irishman named O'Clock?