Crypto device where I need to confirm every operation?

Sandeep Murthy s.murthy at mykolab.com
Thu Jan 22 22:36:09 CET 2015

There are degrees of “control over your hardware” and
complete control hardware is rarely going to happen.

If the concerns voiced by some developers about the
randomness quality of Intel’s hardware random
number generator (RNG) around the time of the
Snowden leaks are true

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/we-cannot-trust-intel-and-vias-chip-based-crypto-freebsd-developers-say/

then we are all compromised, so why are we even
bothering to use tools like GnuPG, which according
to the documentation uses Intel’s RDRAND CPU
instruction (which calls its hardware RNG) among its
entropy sources?  Because it is using other ones, like
dev/random, so there is no one point of weakness and
from a practical point of view there is little risk.

Sandeep Murthy
s.murthy at mykolab.com