Crypto device where I need to confirm every operation?

Sandeep Murthy s.murthy at mykolab.com
Fri Jan 23 02:55:18 CET 2015

> That's not what the original poster was positing, though: the original
> poster was positing *someone else* had complete control -- and trying to
> make a system that works in that environment is a fool's errand.

I was referring to exactly that - *somebody else* having "complete
control" over your hardware, remotely.  There are degrees of that,
and it just seems like an uninteresting abstraction here - what does it
look like?

The original question was:

>> I currently use GnuPG with an OpenPGP Card V2.0 in a smart card reader
>> with PIN pad.
>>
>> However, there is one attack which I think could be easily
>> prevented: With the card in the reader, the PIN entered, and
>> Eve having remote access to my machine, she could sign and
>> decrypt documents.
>>
>> To prevent such an attack, I imagine a device where I have to confirm
>> every transaction with a simple push on a hardware button.

An even simpler solution would be to disable all remote sharing
services via the OS.  What else does remote access mean?  After
Shellshock anyone with a Unix like OS enabling such services, e.g.
like SFTP or SSH, is recommended to either upgrade their Bash shell, or
turn off these services completely, which is easy to do.

Sandeep Murthy
s.murthy at mykolab.com