PGP and BeID

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 26 15:47:18 CET 2015

On Thu,  1 Jan 2015 17:25, gabriel.rosseel at telenet.be said:

> As smartcard I use my Belgian EiD card with the the ACR38U as cardreader.

I never made that reader work for me under Linux.

> Additional software installed:
> 1. middleware (4.0.7 7453)
> 2. OpenPGP Smartcard Minidriver (OpenPGPmdrv-1.0.0.0)

If you run this there is a conflict with GnuPG which requires exclusve
access to the card.  You should try again after disabling above
software.  Note that you may use the card with GnupG only for S/MIME or
for ssh access - there is no OpenPGP support.

> I suspect that the OpenPGP software is the culprit and doesn't support
> my smartcard.

GnuPG _used_ to support it just fine on Unix systems and probably also
on Windows (never tested it).  In fact the BeID was the first card after
the OpenPGP card which I made work for ssh access.  Back then they
provided free samples and a full testing environment.  I have not looked
at it for many years, though.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner