Is Open PGP or GnuPG or GPG possible on a Mac?

Samir Nassar samir at samirnassar.com
Fri May 1 09:50:18 CEST 2015

On Thursday 30 April 2015 23:47:42 Mercury Rising wrote:
> I will take the answer on the list and at mercuryrising11 at gmail.com.  I Up
> graded to Mavericks on the Mac. I am looking for a whole package of open
> source PGP-like programs that will let me encrypt to other keys and manage
> other keys and my own. It is for private corrispondence. I was sending
> messages from my iPhone to the list but don't see them posted. Perhaps
> directly form my Mac will help this time.

Yes, it is possible to use OpenPGP with GnuPG on OS X:

https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/how-use-pgp-mac-os-x

The best (most stable, best supported, easiest overall) results tend to
involve:

GPG Suite: https://gpgtools.org/
Mozilla Thunderbird: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
Enigmail: https://www.enigmail.net/home/index.php

Keep in mind that the parties you want to communicate with also have to
understand how to handle OpenPGP.

If it matters to you to be more secure in communication, I would strongly
suggest making sure your computer is using full disk encryption. In the case
of OS X on a Mac, this means enabling FileVault.

Samir