Own Mail: PGP running on local server; Is it secure

sam_uk at riseup.net sam_uk at riseup.net
Mon Sep 28 20:39:43 CEST 2015

Hi all

> maybe they mean well, but you need someone who also knows what
> they're doing instead for it to be more than snake oil.

Thanks for your comments, not exactly a ringing endorsement! Some of
their linguistic quirks could be excused given they are French, But
I'm glad I asked the question before backing them..

If PGP implementations aren't too far off topic for this list what do
you all think of https://www.mailpile.is/

Another attempt to hasten PGP use amongst non-techs but with a
software rather than hardware approach:

Mailpile is an e-mail client!
Mailpile is a search engine and a personal webmail server.
Mailpile is an easy way to encrypt your e-mail.
Mailpile is software you run yourself, on your own computer.
Mailpile is an effort to reclaim private communication on the
Internet. A project to rescue our personal lives from the proprietary
cloud and prevent our conversations from being strip-mined for
corporate profit and government surveillance.

Thanks

Sam